Thursday, April 24, 2008

The spring search for hummingbird plants

Every spring I like to check out the local nurseries for hummingbird plants. I grow alot of plants from seed too, but it is fun to have some plants already flowering in case a hummingbird shows up. I've had good luck finding plants on Ebay as well. The plant with the orange flowers is a Cuphea that looks to be David Variety. I found it at Yerke's Frog Alley Greenhouse in Mukwonago. This is a great family run business and I always have luck finding some plants there. The owner told me hummingbirds often nest in their hanging baskets and they have to mark them not for sale:)


I found a new type of cuphea llavea called Totally Tempted at Ebert's Green House Village in Ixonia. It looks a bit brighter than the types I have had in the past. I will probably put it in a hanging basket and see how the hummers like it. I also found this Abutalon(flowering maple) at Eberts. I'm going to try it in a hanging basket as well. In May the Piggly Wiggly in Hartland will set up their garden greenhouse in the parking lot. Last year I had great luck there finding Black and Blue Salvia and Candy Corn Vine. Spring shopping is so much fun.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had Blue Salvia in my garden but I didn't really enjoy the smell so I removed it. But I am now regretting this. I have lots of hummers in and around my garden so I am hoping to put out more flowers to attract. Thanks for these suggestions. I will have to see if my nursery has them.
Michele

9:38 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I do not have much space for a garden such as yours, but I do try to allure the hummers with some red flowers. I live in Massachusetts and still have not spotted a single little hummer. I hope to see them arrive soon! Do you use the prepared hummingbird food or prepare the sugarwater yourself?

11:26 AM  
Blogger Missa said...

In my area (zone 8a) we have a lovely little vine commonly called a hummingbird vine (cypress vine) that is covered with tiny red flowers. I generally have dozens of hummys in the spring and summer and they always can be found in the cypress vine.
The other thing that they adore here are cleomes (and it doesnt seem to matter what color they are).

7:20 AM  
Blogger Sue Swift said...

I'm looking forward to the photos of the first visitors! Hope they arrive soon.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Michelle,

You might want to check out this hummingbird forum. http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/ It is where I learned what plants are good for hummers and the people are very helpful.

Karen,
I make my own sugars water. It is easy and cheaper than buying the store bought.

Softer,
I've grown cypress vine. It is beautiful and the hummers do love it. I've bever tried cleomes before. Maybe I will try some this year.

Sue,
No sightings yet. There was a report of s ighting on journey north right in my town yeasterday, so they may be around soon.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!