Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mint invasion, one lone asparagaus and a new toy

While checking the site of last year's wildflower garden, I noticed a suspicious looking weed had sprung up everywhere. After examining it I figured out it was mint!(the horror) Two years ago I grew a pot of mint on my deck. I made sure to remove the flowers, so it couldn't spread. Somehow it must have survived last year and now this year spread everywhere. I had a similar experience with Lemon Balm in my old garden in Pennsylvania and the only way I got rid of it was to move to Ohio.(being sure it would somehow follow me and start growing there as well). Needless to say the mint has me a bit worried. Time to try and take action.


When we first moved here a couple years ago I planted some asparguas in our wild space behind the garden. My husband promptly mowed it all down. Every year since then we get 1 or 2 asparaguas. Here is a picture of this year's crop.


We bought a new toy(not garden related, but it is outside). It is a Weber smoker. Today we are attempting to cook a brisket on it. It sure did smell good while I was out looking at the mint today. I think we will enjoy it this summer.

6 Comments:

Blogger CatHerder said...

Watch out with the smoker, ITS ADDICTIVE. Hubby started out with a weber just like yours, and graduated to a professional sized HUGE wood smoker, and also a cabelas propane smoker for when its too cold for just the woodfired one. Our neighborhood smells like a smokehouse all the time!!! love your blog.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Vogt said...

I love asparagus! Time for a feast with your bumper crop (so strange).

4:47 PM  
Blogger Robin's Nesting Place said...

So, are you telling me that the mint I'm growing from seed isn't such a good idea? LOL. I was planning on putting it in a container, now I'm not so sure I want it.

9:49 PM  
Blogger davenlu said...

Birds love mint seeds and will plant them everywhere. Be careful.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I still can't believe the mint escaped, grew somewhere out of my sight for a year and now reseeded and spread to two seperate areas in my yard. Amazing and a bit scary...

I can see the smoker being used alot here this summer. The brisket was great!

We still haven't eaten the lone asparagaus. Maybe tonight.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, talk about hardy plants! I am sure we are too dry for this kind of thing to happen without any supplemental water, but I guess I should still be a bit cautious!!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!