Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Candy Corn Vine(My favorite vine)

The past couple of years I have grown candy corn vine(Manettia) in a pot on my deck. The hummingbirds, my kids and myself all love this vine. It is easy to grow, doesn't sprawl out of control and is fun to look at.




I picked up two today at the Piggly Wiggly. They are too tall to move around, so I will have to cover them if it gets too cold at night. Last year Steins Garden Store
carried these as well for those of you in Wisconsin interested in growing one.


I am still waiting for the first hummingbird and oriole. I'm thinking they might be bit delayed this year with the late spring we are having, but I usually don't see any until May 5th or so. I'm hoping some feeders and flowers will get the attention on any that happen to be flying by:)

10 Comments:

Blogger Laurie and Chris said...

I have never seen a candy corn vine. I wonder if we have them in our area. I will have to check out our greenhouses.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thank you, Thank you for posting a picture of the candy corn vine. My great aunt just gave my mother a few plantings of this vine. She was trying to describe it to me over the phone and I couldn't find any pictures when I googled it. She was right though, it does look exactly like candy corn! Do you have any special tips on how to keep it healthy and growing fast?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I like the looks of your vine. I have never heard of it... I'll have to check it out locally.
Your pictures are great by the way.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think this is a vine that is being sold more places every year. The first year I bought it on Ebay. Now I see it at several stores around here.

Babs, It is an easy vine to grow. The one thing it does not like is miracle grow. Otherwise some sunlight and water and place to climb makes it happy.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm glad you mentioned the miracle grow. My dad is miracle-grow-happy. He puts it on Everything.

6:28 PM  
Blogger davenlu said...

I work in Mequon and have an oriole feeder right outside my office window. I caught a glimpse of some movement and saw my first hummingbird this year. :)

10:08 PM  
Blogger grammadiane said...

I got a candy corn vine about 3 weeks ago and don't know what I am doing wrong...I have watered regularly (maybe too much ?) and it is in the sun....Well....the leaves are turning brown anf getting brittle...I don't want to lose it so any suggestions or remedies would be greatly appreciated...BTW I'm in fort Atkinson Wi...Do these plants survive our winters....or do you take cuttings and atart them indoors and plant in spring outdoors ?? grammadiane@charter.net

6:31 PM  
Blogger lliljegren said...

Oh no, just used miracle grow on my candy corn vine. Does it make the vine wither or something? Anything I should do or just don't use it repeatedly?

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have used miracle grow all summer on my candy corn vine and it is beautiful. even planted it in miracle grow potting soil. So don't worry about watering it with miracle grow if you have.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!