Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lots of plants, but not many hummingbirds

Lots of plants are starting to bloom, but the hummingbirds are rather scarce at the moment. They are nesting and will show up in bigger numbers later this month(hopefully)



Last year when I first started my hummingbird garden I kept reading that they like salvias. I went out and bought a bunch of meadow salvia(like this May Night). The hummingbirds actually like the more tropical kinds of salvias. While the meadow salvias do great in Wisconsin and return year after year, they are not that great for attracting hummingbirds.



This plant is coral nymph coccinea. I was able to find a store selling flats of these and lady in red coccinea. This should be a great hummingbird plant. I've added these two types of plants to all of my garden beds. Supposidly, they reseed easily as well.





My red Dianthus came back great this year. My front bed is filled with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

I am always delighted to meet new bloggers coming to visit mine! I too have a passion for hummingbirds and butterflys! I try to bring in plants that attract them both. The more purple and lavender the more they visit! I also put out feeders for the hummingbirds and they love that. Of course the sugar water is tinted red(organic for sure)and I have a few glass ornaments in red to attract them also.While fussing around my pond today they were humming over my head flying in and out of the corkscrew willow.I did not dare look up as I was standing on the rocks so they continued to tease me! :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks! I've seen your blog and it is great! I love the enchanted forest. Your squirrel is adorable too!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The most beautiful salvia flower announced for an contest click on to http://www.freshsalvia.com/contest.html
and here: http://www.freshsalvia.com/blog/?cat=3 Don't miss this excellent opportunity

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!